Hamburger steaks are a fast dish to cook, but the sides seem to take me longer. The other night I needed a fast gluten-free meal — more than that, I needed to put more fiber in front of my family that day. They’ll eat the veggies, but still ask for carbs. However, they usually like beans, so I tried this. It was good enough together that they didn’t even get a bun to have with the hamburger steak!
Be sure to check out this and others’ recipes over at Linda’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays for this week, and maybe add one of your own, too.
Gluten-Free Beef Hamburger Steak With Sauteed Summer Squash & Refried Beans
1 Pound Ground Beef, Lean
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Salt, or half that of Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
1 Teaspoon Butter, or Oil
3 Cups Summer Squash, sliced thin
2 Slices Onion, sliced thin
1/4 Cup Red and Green Bell Pepper, sliced thin
1/4 Teaspoon Salt, or Seasoned Salt, to taste
1/8 Teaspoon Pepper, or to taste
15 Ounces Refried Beans, GF, canned (I used Old El Paso regular)
1/4 Cup Salsa, GF (I used Pace Picante – Mild)
1 Ounce Mexican-style Cheese Mixture, GF, or Monterrey Jack or plain cheddar – optional
1. Combine ground beef, garlic salt, pepper and dried parsley. Form into large patties. Set aside.
2. Put refried beans in a small microwavable, covered bowl or pan; make a small well in the center; fill with 1/4 cup salsa. Set aside.
3. Heat butter or oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add vegetables; cook, stirring gently but often, until almost tender (about 10-12 minutes). Add the salt (or Seasoned Salt) and pepper to taste.
4. Meanwhile, grill or pan-fry the hamburger steaks over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes on each side for medium-well doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for well-done. (We cook ground beef to well-done, when the juices run clear.)
5. After turning the meat, begin heating the refried beans in microwave – it should take about 3 minutes, depending on your dish and on the microwave. As soon as they are heated through, sprinkle the cheese over the top so it will melt.
6. Put a hamburger steak on each plate, top with some refried beans and arrange more beans and some squash mixture beside it. Be sure to include some of the salsa on top of the meat.
For more gluten-free ground beef recipes: