This raw, chilly spring day made me think that the time had finally arrived for some warm, comforting soup! I love to curl up on the sofa with a good book or a crossword puzzle and a steaming cup of my home-made soup.
Since I didn’t have a lot of time today to spend cleaning and chopping veggies to put in my gluten-free meal, I opted for a package of frozen Italian mixed vegetables. But, I could have used any sort of frozen vegetable mix – a classic soup mix, a broccoli-and-carrot mix, or simply mixed vegetables or maybe a Fiesta vegetable mix. Anything like that would have worked!
We often have a gluten-free meal of home-made vegetable soup in our home… especially on cold, inclement days like today turned out. Most of the time it’s the traditional vegetable soup. But… sometimes a little change is good and that’s how this vegetable soup came to have Italian veggies in it instead of the more standard carrots, celery, green peas and potatoes.
A common mix I’ve found for Italian vegetables is broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, Italian green beans, red peppers, zucchini and limas. To go with that, I used Italian seasoning.
If I’d used a Fiesta mix, I’d have added a little chili powder instead. Other than that, the main difference between this and a traditional vegetable soup is that I try to be more careful stirring so that I don’t turn the softer vegetables, like zucchini and peppers, completely into mush.
With some hot bread or crisp crackers, this makes a satisfying, filling meal. Just right for a cold, wet dreary day!
Beef Vegetable Soup with Italian Seasoning and Vegetables – Gluten-Free and Slow-Cooked
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes
Makes 8 servings, or about 2 quarts
- 2 Pounds Beef Stew Meat, or Bottom Round, cut in small cubes (1/2” or smaller)
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet Rice Flour
- 1 Quart Beef Stock, Gluten-Free (or use all water)
- 1 Quart Water
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce, Lea & Perrins or another gluten-free brand (not all are Gluten-Free)
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Wine, optional (I used Burgundy this time)
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning, or to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 20 Ounces Italian Vegetable Mix, frozen, or your favorite combination
- 1/2 Cup Corn, cut
Place meat and other ingredients in crockpot in order listed. Cover.
Set to 4-6 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low, according to crockpot instructions. When meat is just tender, add salt to taste if needed and cook another 20 minutes or so before serving.
If desired, thicken the liquid 20 minutes before serving by stirring in a little more sweet rice flour mixed with a little cold water first. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Makes 8 servings, or about 2 quarts.
This slow cooker recipe is gluten-free (no wheat, barley, rye or uncertified oats). It’s also dairy-free, egg-free, lactose-free and nut-free, and it’s suitable for a wheat-free diet.
This recipe will be linked here:
– Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
– The Gluten-Free Homemaker’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
– Frugal Follies’ Frugal Food Thursday
– Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
– The Nourishing Gourmet’s Pennywise Platter Thursday
– The Whole Gang’s Real Food Weekly
– Mangoes and Chutney’s Fat Camp Friday
– Cybelle Pascal’s Allergy Friendly Friday