Blueberry Pie with Cornstarch and Agave – Gluten-Free
Blueberry Pie is luscious anytime of year, whether you’re using fresh or frozen fruit for the filling. Making it with cornstarch is gluten-free, while using agave nectar lowers the overall glycemic index. You’ll like this easy-to-make gluten-free pie filling!
This crust in this recipe was inspired by the one in Elana’s Chocolate Cream Pie. Since I was trying to cook with what I had on hand, I had to improvise some. The flavor, as it turned out, was good, I thought, but in spite of that, my hubby ate only a few bites. Visually, the crust browned nicely, adding to the natural almond brown it already had. It had a nice look to it, although just not what my hubby is used to. He could tell before even tasting it that it wasn’t a traditional pie crust
It was good enough that I’ll be sure to try this again when I have the exact ingredients that Elana’s recipe describes. I really liked the way the crust handled as I put it together, and the almond flour is more nutritious, with lower carbs than a rice flour crust.
By substituting agave nectar in my old traditional recipe for the blueberry filling, I avoided a little of the sugar from this antioxidant-loaded pie. As a result, I think it qualifies for Amy’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.
My husband ate a whole serving of this pie, but he said he’d have preferred the traditional one. Would you try this for something new?
Blueberry Pie – Cornstarch & Agave — Gluten-Free
1 1/2 Cups Almond Flour [I did not have blanched almond flour, so I used natural almond flour]
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt [I used regular sea salt]
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Canola Oil [I used canola oil]
2 Tablespoons Agave Nectar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1. In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
2. In a small bowl, combine oil, agave and vanilla
3. Stir wet ingredients into dry
4. Pat dough into a 9.5 inch glass pie dish [or two 6.5 inch glass pans]
5. Bake at 325° for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
4 cups Blueberries, fresh or frozen
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
3/4 Cup Agave Nectar
1 Pie Crust (one 9 Inch or Two 6.5 Inch), Natural Almond Flour
Sweetened Whipped Cream, optional [leave this out for dairy-free or lactose-free servings]
1. Mix fruit, cornstarch and agave in a large microwave-safe measuring pitcher or bowl.
2. Cook on medium for about 8-10 minutes until juices begin to thicken, stirring every 2 minutes. Be sure to have a large enough bowl (at least a 2-quart bowl for 1 quart of blueberries) so that the juices don’t bubble over the top. It won’t taste done until they cook enough to bubble up.
3. Pour into crust(s) and refrigerate.
4. Cool and serve. Top with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Omit the whipped cream for a dairy-free and lactose-free serving. This pie is gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, lactose-free, soy-free, sugar-free and wheat-free.
This recipe will also be entered in the following:
- A Gluten-Free Holiday I: Staying Healthy Over the Holidays–with Coconut-Raspberry Truffle Cups, hosted by Diet, Dessert and Dogs, where there are cookbooks by Cybele Pascal and by Ali and Tom being given away.