Gluten-Free Boneless Beef Short Ribs in Agave-Mustard Gravy
If you’re like me and are looking for ways to develop and balance your menu plan, you now have a new resource to help you do that.
On January 1, 2012, The Balanced Platter, a new gluten-free website, launched a one-stop shop for balanced, healthy gluten-free living. Be sure to stop by there to find recipes, tips, how-tos and product reviews.
To celebrate the launch, they’re doing a month-long blogging event called Balanced, Healthy, & Gluten-Free in 2012. Don’t miss it! I’ll be doing one of the guest posts. I’m excited about everything this new site has to offer!
For a satisfying gluten-free recipe to balance your menu, these beef short ribs are easy and filling. The recipe calls for boneless ribs, which are trimmed by the butcher and also economical. I and my family love them… I can rarely make enough for their appetites…
- 1 1/2 Pounds Boneless Beef Short Ribs, trimmed by the butcher (or three times as much if Bone-In)
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Rice Flour (I used Koda Farm's Mochiko), more or less
- 1 Tablespoon Oil (like Grape Seed or Olive Oil)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Seasoned Salt, or your favorite gluten-free mix
- 2 Teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Medium Onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce, Lea & Perrins
- 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar (or Honey)
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Rice Flour (I used Koda Farm's Mochiko)
- 4 Medium Gluten-Free Rolls, like Sub Buns, Sausage Rolls or Ciabatta, like Schar's Parbaked Ciabatta Rolls, split
Trim any excess fat from ribs. Roll ribs in flour, or put flour and ribs in a plastic bag and shake until well-covered.
In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown the meat in hot oil.
Add the seasoned salt, dry mustard, onion, Worcestershire sauce, agave nectar and water.
Cover and simmer till tender, 2 to 2-1/2 hours; or, move to crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Twenty minutes before serving, stir in 1/4 cup rice flour to thicken gravy.
If you plan to use rolls for sandwiches, split and toast them. For an alternative, serve with mashed potatoes and cole slaw.
Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
The Gluten-Free Homemaker’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
The King’s Court IV’s What’s Cooking Wednesday
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
Frugal Follies’ Frugal Food Thursday
The Nourishing Gourmet’s Pennywise Platter Thursday
It’s a Keeper Thursday: Recipe and Project Linky