Tender chunks of meat, spices and flavorful vegetables braised together make a fragrant Mexican version of beef stew called Carne Guisada.
With a few accompaniments like tortillas, tossed salad, shredded cheese or guacamole, Gluten-Free Carne Guisada makes a meal worthy of guests.
If you haven’t tried a TexMex version of beef stew, you’ll enjoy this!
Gluten-Free Carne Guisada
- 1/4 Cup Gluten-Free Flour, optional (omit for low carb)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Pounds Beef Stew Meat, cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 3 Tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup Tomatoes, chopped, optional (omit for low carb)
- 3 Cups Potatoes, cubed, optional (omit for low carb)
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free Stock, or Water
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder, to taste (be sure to check for gluten, corn starch or other additives)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin, optional
- 1/4 Cup Green Pepper, chopped, optional
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free Salsa or Pico de Gallo, optional
- Water as needed
- 1 Jalapeno or Sweet Red Pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise, optional, for garnish
- 12 – 16 Gluten-Free Tortillas, warmed, optional (omit for low carb)
Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge the meat cubes (omit the dredging for low carb).
In large skillet or Dutch oven with a lid, brown meat on both sides in hot oil.
Add remaining ingredients except for extra water, pepper strips, and tortillas.
Cover; cook over low heat about 1-1/2 hours or till tender. Check from time to time to see if mixture is drying out too much. Add a little water if needed to maintain at least an inch of liquid in the pan.
Skim off any excess fat.
Adjust seasoning to taste.
Spoon meat and gravy into a bowl or onto a warm tortilla; garnish with jalapeno or sweet red pepper strips.
Makes 6 – 8 servings.
Table for Seven’s Share Your Stuff Tuesdays
The Gluten-Free Homemaker’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
Gluten Free Easily’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures Gluten-Free Wednesdays
The Tasty Alternative’s Allergy Friendly Wednesdays
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
Katherine’s Corner Thursday Favorite Things
Rattlebridge Farm’s Foodie Friday
Simple Living and Eating’s Foodie Friday