If you like tender, hot bites of chicken with crisp-tender vegetables, this gluten-free chicken stir-fry will make a quick and easy meal for you. You can modify it easily to satisfy your family’s tastes, even if you’re cooking for a gluten-free diet and a regular diet at the same time, simply by adding or changing the vegetables.
If you do want to add more vegetables, sliced mushrooms go especially well with this combination. So does broccoli cut into bite-size pieces – just keep them small enough to cook in the same amount of time as the celery and onion.
To make a low carb dish, omit the sweet rice flour. You can serve this stir-fry as it is, or you can spoon it over pan-grilled shoe-string-cut zucchini and still have a gluten-free, low carb meal.
You can easily double or halve this easy chicken recipe. The night I made this I cooked enough for 2 people. The picture also shows the side dish I made to go with it of leftover rice and fresh spinach. I heated the rice with a little oil, added a little gluten-free chicken stock, and then stirred in the spinach a minute or two before serving.
Another variation for this simple recipe is to use leftover cooked meat, such as cubed chicken or pork roast. It can make a super-easy dinner, fast!
Gluten-Free Chicken Stir-Fry with Celery and Onion Is a Quick Meal to Make
- 2 Tablespoons Oil, Coconut, Peanut or Grapeseed
- 1 Pound Boned and Skinned Chicken Breast Halves or Thighs, sliced into thin strips
- 2 Cups Onion, sliced into thin wedges from top to botto
- 4 Cups Celery, cut thin crosswise
- 12 Ounces Mushrooms, sliced or Broccoli cut into bite-size pieces (optional)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, to taste
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons Sweet Rice Flour (optional — omit for a low-carb dish)
- 1 to 2 Cups Chicken Broth, gluten-free
- 2 Tablespoons Tamari Soy Sauce, gluten-free, to taste, like San-J Tamari
- Rice, gluten-free Noodles or pan-grilled shoe-string-cut Zucchini
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.
2. Add the celery and onions to the pan and stir-fry for about 2-5 minutes, until beginning to soften. Stir often to prevent burning.
3. Add the chicken. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the optional mushrooms.
5. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes until chicken and vegetables are done. The chicken is almost done when there is no pink on the inside and juices run clear.
6. Sprinkle the sweet rice flour, if using it, over the chicken and vegetables. Continue to cook and stir.
7. Stir in half of the stock and soy sauce. Heat through. Add more stock if needed for the right consistency of the sauce.
8. Season to taste.
9. Can be served as is, or over rice, gluten-free noodles or pan-grilled shoe-string-cut zucchini. The zucchini is especially nice to complete a low carb meal.
Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
The Gluten-Free Homemaker’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
More gluten-free chicken recipes: