These delightful rounds of gluten-free crab meat were not a dish I learned about when I was very young, but as soon as I tasted them, I wanted to make up for lost time. Whether I use almond flour or breadcrumbs to make them, these crab cakes seem way more impressive than the effort they take to prepare. The whole family will like them whether they need to eat gluten-free or not.
Don’t think that you don’t have the time or the skill to make some yourself. They are simple to stir together, shape and sauté. That’s all there is to it.
The hardest part is deciding which seasoning or sauce you want with them. Since my husband tends towards the less spicy option, I cook these fairly mild and add the zippier seasonings on individual servings. You could easily mix the optional seasonings in at the beginning, though, if you want.
Don’t wait as long as I did to make crab cakes an easy addition to your gluten-free diet.
Gluten-Free Crab Cakes for the Whole Family
- 1 Pound Canned Crab, drained and boned (be sure it’s real crab meat — many imitations do contain gluten)
- 1/4 Cup Green Onion, minced, or up to 1/2 cup
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise, homemade or your favorite GF brand
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 3 Tablespoons Blanched Almond Flour (like Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour), or GF breadcrumbs (like Schar Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs)
- 1/3 Cup Oil (like Grapeseed, Peanut or Olive Oil)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt and Pepper, optional
- 1 Teaspoon Old Bay Seafood Seasoning, optional
- 1 Dash Tabasco Sauce, optional
Combine ingredients except for the oil and optional seasonings; mix thoroughly.
Shape into 8 patties.
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
Sauté the crab cakes until they are lightly browned and cooked through.
Drain on paper towels.
Salt and pepper if desired, or you can season them with Old Bay Seafood Seasoning or a dash of Tabasco Sauce to taste.
Serve with a wedge of lemon, dill sauce or your favorite dipping sauce if you like.
Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Gluten-Free Homemaker’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday