A napa cabbage slaw has a more tender texture and a milder, sweeter flavor than most types of American cabbage. And, to make it even better, its vitamins and minerals make it a healthy addition to a gluten-free diet. It is both gluten-free and low-carb.
Napa cabbage grows in a pale green, somewhat loose head with deeply crinkled leaves that are more straight than curved. Sometimes it is called celery cabbage, pe-tsai or Chinese white cabbage, while napa (or nappa) cabbage is a Japanese name for it.
Finding it at a supermarket is not usually difficult. It’s known by several different names. You may have to help the cashier figure out where to find it on the produce list.
Napa cabbage is an unusually versatile vegetable. Not only does it lend itself well to soups, but it also goes well in salads and stir-fries.
It is quick-cooking, so I really like it for a fast healthy meal. Napa cabbage will keep well in the refrigerator for a few days, so I often use part of a head for a gluten-free salad and the other part for a stir-fry…I just made a stir-fry with it and my husband loved it!
Personally, I think its flavor comes out best in a salad, which is why I like to make this simple slaw.
Napa Cabbage Slaw with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar, or Rice Vinegar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Honey, or Agave Nectar, or your favorite sweetener, more or less to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard, or Chili Powder, or your other favorite seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Onion, optional
- 4 Cups Napa Cabbage, Sliced 1/4″ wide (This will be about half of a small head.)
- 1 Cup Carrot Slices, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 Cup Celery Slices, thinly sliced
- 4 Large Radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, or Cilantro, coarsely chopped
Combine ingredients for dressing and mix well.
Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
Wash and cut vegetables.
Keep chilled until serving time.
Toss with dressing right before serving.
You can find this and more of my gluten-free recipes in my menu plan for this week.
Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
The Gluten-Free Homemaker’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday