Snacks are always popular around my house, sometimes more so than meals! Gluten-free snacks–like these redskins ‘skins with olive oil–that my husband likes can be especially hard to find, but he likes these. Don’t tell him but these are also much healthier than many of his favorite snacks.
I recently served them with some carrot and celery sticks on the side – he was well on his way to a whole day’s worth of veggies before he even got to dinner!
Redskins ‘Skins with Olive Oil and Garlic Salt – Gluten-Free Snacking
8 Large New Potatoes, Redskins, washed
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil Spray
1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt, or your favorite seasoned salt
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, optional
1 Tablespoon Tabasco Sauce, or Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, optional
1/2 Cup Ranch Salad Dressing, optional (I use Ken’s Ranch since it’s my husband’s favorite)
1. In a 400 degree F. oven, bake the potatoes for about 45 to 60 minutes, or until done; let cool a little.
2. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut length-wise to make two relatively flat pieces (as much as you can make a round potato flat).
3. With a spoon, scoop some of the potato out of each skin, leaving about 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick potato shells. (Save the scooped-out potato for another dish.) Spray the entire surface of each skin, inside and out, with olive oil.
— If you want to fix ahead, prepare up to this point and refrigerate, covered, up to 24 hours. Let return to room temperature and continue.
4. Place the skins on an oiled cookie sheet, cut side up. Sprinkle with salt, and broil until well-browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. OPTIONAL: If you like cheese, sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over each skin. Broil the skins for 2 more minutes to melt the cheese.
6. Serve with the Tabasco Sauce or Frank’s Red Hot Sauce to sprinkle over, and/or the optional Ranch Salad Dressing for dipping.
This will be linked here:
– Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
– The Gluten-Free Homemaker’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
– The King’s Court IV’s What’s Cooking Wednesday
– Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
– Nourishing Gourmet’s Pennywise Platter Thursday
– The W.H.O.L.E. Gang’s Real Food Weekly