A childhood favorite that became one of my family’s favorites, my mom’s Salmon Croquettes were hard to leave behind when I first went gluten-free. My mom made them with saltine cracker crumbs, and they were so good that our kids would ask for them when she came to visit. With a few adjustments, this gluten-free recipe is close to as good as I remember hers. She taught us early on about some of the health benefits of salmon, especially its heart-healthy omega-3s.
We don’t necessarily use any sauce with them, although Parsley Pesto goes well. Posting that pesto recipe last week over at Linda’s site, The Gluten-Free Homemaker, reminded me of making these this week for her Gluten-Free Wednesday carnival.
These croquettes are nut-free. If using Schar Breadcrumbs for these, they will also be lactose-free. This is a simple 30 minute meal for any night of the week.
Salmon Croquettes, Gluten-Free
- 1 lb canned salmon, drained, skinned and boned (reserve some of the broth)
- 1 stalk celery, with leaves, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, or garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, Gluten-Free (Schar Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs are what I used)
- 2 tablespoons broth, reserved from salmon (more or less as needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, or use more oil instead
- dash salt and pepper, optional
Reserve a little of the broth from the salmon in order to moisten the final mixture as needed.
Combine the salmon, celery, onion, parsley, garlic and eggs; mix thoroughly.
Add the bread crumbs; toss lightly but thoroughly. If the mixture is too dry to shape, stir in a tablespoon or two of the reserved broth.
Shape into 8 patties or ovals, flattened slightly to a uniform thickness of about one-half inch.
Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the croquettes until lightly browned and done through. Since the salmon is already cooked, you really only need to be sure the egg is thoroughly cooked for these to be done.
Drain on paper towels. Salt and pepper, if desired. Serve.