Shrimp Gumbo – Light and Gluten Free
A gluten-free dish with zip that’s healthy and also easy to fix — that’s a good one to pull out of the recipe box! The shrimp provides the low-fat protein, the vegetables add more flavor and nutrition, and the seasonings can be as peppy as you like. It’s a light, filling dish for a gluten-free diet and great to add to your list of 30 minute meals.
This easy shrimp gumbo recipe is versatile and nutritious. Most of my family enjoys this, although one of our sons will not eat the okra.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onions
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Celery
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet Rice Flour
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth, or Fish Stock (make your own or buy a gluten-free brand)
- 1 Pound Okra, Fresh or Frozen, cut
- 1 Cup (8 Ounces) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Whole Bay Leaf
- 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika, optional
- 1/4 Teaspoon Thyme, optional
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Parsley
- 1 pound Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt, to taste
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pepper, to taste
- 1 Dash Tabasco Sauce, to taste
- 2 cups Cooked Rice
Saute onion, peppers, celery and garlic in oil until tender.
Stir in rice flour and continue stirring and browning for several minutes.
Add broth, okra, tomatoes, bay leaf and parsley; also add paprika and thyme, if used; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until okra is tender, about 10 minutes.
Add shrimp; simmer until shrimp is pink and tender, about 5 minutes.
Season to taste with Tabasco, salt and pepper. Serve in bowls with a large spoonful of rice on top.
This gluten-free recipe is designed for those with gluten intolerance, gluten sensitivity, or celiac (coeliac) disease, but I’ve found that people who have no food allergies like it, too. It’s one of my gluten-free recipes that is wheat-free, barley-free and rye-free, as well as dairy-free, corn-free, egg-free, nut-free and refined sugar-free. It is a low-glycemic, wheat-free recipe suitable for a wheat-free diet and, if you omit the rice, also for a low carb or a paleo diet.