Tomato Bean Soup, Quick & Easy
Have you ever been hungry for a bowl of hearty tomato soup? I wasn’t sure what “hearty tomato soup” meant the other day, but that was the kind of tomato soup I wanted.
We were having guests for dinner but they would be arriving late, after another event, and I was preparing steaks to broil and veggies and rice on the side.
A crockpot meal would have been ideal for that uncertain dinner hour, but since steaks don’t broil in a crockpot, I opted for soup instead. Tomato soup with some extras that might tide us over till a late supper, or be a good first course.
Here is what we had. There were NO leftovers.
- 3 Cups Water
- 16 Ounces Diced Tomatoes, canned
- 16 Ounces Navy Beans, Canned
- 1/4 Cup Dried Onion
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Pepper, or to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 3 Each Chicken Bouillon Cubes, G.F. (I used Herb-Ox), or your favorite flavor
- Note: Instead of Bouillon Cubes, You Can Substitute Your Own Stock for the Water and Bouillon Cubes. Yum!
Add water, tomatoes, beans, and seasonings to large pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat and cover; simmer 40-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add hot water as needed to make 1.5 quarts Adjust seasoning if needed. Ladle into bowls.
Or, put everything in a 1.5 quart crockpot. Heat on high for 2 hours. Serve.
As shown, this is gluten-free (no wheat, barley or rye), casein-free and dairy-free, corn-free, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free and sugar-free.
This recipe will be posted here:
– Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
– The Gluten-Free Homemaker’s Gluten-Free Wednesdays
– Frugal Follies’ Frugal Food Thursday
– Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
– The W.H.O.L.E. Gang’s Real Food Weekly
– The Nourishing Gourmet’s Pennywise Platter Thursday